Seven times have I despised my soul:
- The first time when I saw her being meek that she might attain height.
- The second time when I saw her limping before the crippled.
- The third time when she was given to choose between the hard and the easy, and she chose the easy.
- The fourth time when she committed a wrong, and comforted herself that others also commit wrong.
- The fifth time when she forbore for weakness, and attributed her patience to strength.
- The sixth time when she despised the ugliness of a face, and knew not that it was one of her own masks.
- And the seventh time when she sang a song of praise, and deemed it a virtue.